The Jim Koerschen Award for Innovation in Schools
The Jim Koerschen Award for Innovation in Schools was created by the ACAMIS Board of Directors in honour of Dr. Jim Koerschen. Dr. Koerschen was a former university President and an esteemed international educator during his five years as Head of School at Concordia International School Shanghai. He served on the ACAMIS Board for three years and in 2013, was appointed and served as the first Executive Director of ACAMIS until he passed away in 2014.
Dr. Koerschen became known within ACAMIS as an innovative educator and outside-the-box thinker. It is with this in mind that the Award for Innovation in International Schools was created. Participation in the Award is open to students enrolled in all ACAMIS full membership schools in China and Mongolia.
The Koerschen Award is meant to provide a means of encouraging or stimulating innovation within schools as participants:
- Apply academic, social, and personal skills to create an innovative program, system, activity, or service for their school community;
- Work within groups to apply creativity to achieve authentic outcomes;
- Gain a deeper understanding of themselves, their community, and their school;
- Demonstrate leadership while guiding a team to solve problems and work collaboratively while helping others.
Up to $2,500 USD may be awarded to the successful applicant team as determined by the ACAMIS Selection Committee named by the ACAMIS Board.
Who Should Apply?
The Koerschen Award is open to students who are enrolled in ACAMIS member schools in the full membership category and are supported by the Head of School and a faculty representative who provides guidance to the group carrying out the innovation.
Application must be made using the application form when the application period begins. The proposal should be no more than 750 words.
For this award, there may be multiple applicants within one school, in which case, the school should select the best entry and submit only one application per school.
All sections of Koerschen Award Application Form need to be completed and may include supplementary and supporting information.
When completing the Innovation Award Proposal, the applicant(s) should consider the following questions:
- What kind of innovation is being planned?
- Why is the innovation meaningful to the school?
- Why is this project important to the innovators?
- What outcomes has the innovation provided fellow students and/or the schools?
- How can success of the innovation be measured or described?
The completed ACAMIS Koerschen Award for Innovation Application Form must be sent to the ACAMIS Executive Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org no later than February 15, 2018 for the current school year. Late applications will not be accepted.